Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Where we are... how we are... GBC Family connections in the midst of Ike

"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And through the rivers they will not overflow you.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you. For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
... Do not fear, for I am with you."

58 comments:

kel said...

hello everyone! i am trying to learn this art of blogging so we can all keep in touch. I already miss everyone soooooo much! I have heard from so many of you via email which has been wonderful for me, but with this blog we can all hear from each other which will be wonderful for all of us. I am in Pasadena at my sisters house. I have commandeered her computer, among other things. Our home had 4/5 ft of water in it. Jon's shop had about 8ft and the Chapel we are restoring had 3ft. Jon's truck was submerged. Jon has been on the island since Sunday morning along with Mike & Robby Nixon and John Weber. They have been cleaning out homes and churches, rescuing animals, taking photos, going by people's homes to try to let people know the situation. Today Clay, Jack Thrasher and others joined the EFCA Crisis Team and brought supplies to the island so the work can continue and they can begin to set up the crisis center. We are really hoping all will comment on this blog, even those who have already emailed me, so we can all be part. Until we are united once again, we will figure out a way to worship via blog.
The Lord gives and the Lord takes away; Blessed be His glorious name.

Anonymous said...

Hi family. I too had never blogged and look--I am doing it!!!
This is an awesome thing for us. Please join in.
My house had about 5 feet of water. I have not been inside but my nephew, Nick went in on Tuesday. He took pictures-- I haven't been able to look at them yet. I spoke to him last night and he just kept saying it was unbelievable. He found most of the furniture turned upside down and pushed against other things. I was not hit by tidal surge, I don't think. It seems like it was more likely a slow rise from the bay side although I can't confirm that.
Guys, this is so hard to fathom. People on my block have been there over 50 years and NEVER had water in their houses.
I am staying with a cousin in Katy but started out with the Willits in Waco. I had to leave Molly and Emmy with them so I could get closer to Galveston. I have talked to John Mark and Jamie each day and will keep them updated. They are praying for us all.
I love you. Mary Angela

Anonymous said...

Hi All!
Randy & I stayed in home in Santa Fe, We were fortunate and did not get water in our home, we had minimal damage. I have mixed feeling and almost feel guilty for having been spared when so many of you are suffering. The company I work for has lost about 98% of its business as we serve Galveston Restaurants and Crystal Beach & Bolivar Septic systems; all of which are now non-existent. So like so many of you no job. We are operating on a generator. 2 hours on and 6 hours off. Still no power so I am able to see the news and have access to the internet breifly. This blog will be wonderful as I am so concerned for all of you from the island.

TO ALL OUR YOUTH we miss you and are praying for you. What a challenge for all of us to see how God is going to work in our lives through all of this. What an EXTREME way to learn patience and compassion, huh? If you can contact us email us at cleverjack@aol.com or call us at 409-925-5777 or on my cell at 409-256-3424 if you just need to talk or connect or whatever...that goes for non-youth as well. Look forward to hearing about everyone.
Jackie Talbert

Jan Kent said...

Good morning!
Taylor and I are in San Marcos with Hannah just waiting. I have seen my townhouse on satellite and had some reports of minmal damage mainly to downstairs. I don't think water got into the living area. My main concern was the 3 cats I left behind with food and water for a "few" days as I planned on returning Sunday in time for school on Monday!:( I just talked to someone who knows someone who stayed in one of the townhouses and he will check on them and feed them. He also will turn off the breakers I forgot and clean out my frig. Hallelujah! I, too, find it incredible that I, living beyond the protection of the seawall, could have suffered so little in comparison to those of you behind the seawall. I am thinking of going to Dallas to visit with my parents as I wait for reentry. I don't want to get too far away though. I have heard from several of you but I still wonder about many who I haven't communicated with. This is a great tool. I hope I can make it work! I am so looking forward to reuniting with all of you but in the meantime I have you all in my prayers. God will see us through this time of loss. He has been so faithful to me in even more tremendously devastating circumstances.

Until we meet again,
Jan

Galveston Bible Church said...

This is today's update, from the EFCA Crisis Response Team regarding the progress of the Command Center at GBC. These words are from Mark Lewis, the Director of the Team:

"We have a special broadcast going out to all efca churches today. The generator may be coming over today to be set tomorrow or friday. We have another trailer load of tools, resources coming in late tonite. We'll get that on the island tomorrow. We have teams lined up coming in thurs nite and fri nite to work on isl fri and sat."

~posted by kel

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm really not up on blogging. I signed in on the other site.

Greetings to everyone in Jesus Name.

So glad to hear that people are safe. My garage flooded - that next garage sale may be a REAL bust. ;-) Otherwise my apt upstairs is fine according to neighbor/friend Rosemary who stayed behind.

I can't get any idea of when our TDCJ/UTMB clinics will open up so I'm heading up to Michigan to visit family after Joel heads to Savannah next Monday.

I hope my 2 cantelopes that were about to ripen on the vine in my yard are ok! ;-)

Love to all, Joy

Unknown said...

Hi, all GBCBloggers,
The Duke family is safe in Conroe. Daniel and family are in Santa Fe with Jennifer's family and with power!

Our home is fine. I am working today! I am temporarily set up at Shelmark Engineering in Texas City but may be in College Station later on.

Let me know if there is anything we can do for anyone. You can reach me at 409-356-3507 and Jeannette and everyone else at 936-447-3288 at Jeannette's parents' house. I will be there tonight and try to be there each night.

Christopher went to the Island yesterday with Clay and Jack. I am proud of him for wanting to help and being willing to sit in the entry line to Galveston for several hours. He checked our house out well although we had heard from Marie Broussard that it looked fine.

Daniel and family were with us in Conroe until Monday a.m. I think--everything runs together. Ian entertained us and everyone entertained him. Daniel and I made a food run to College Station on Sunday--good father/son bonding, especially as we looked for his car in an unfamiliar Walmart parking lot after shopping for several hours.

Joshua lost power in Nacogdoches but made the best of it. Bethany found news items for us on television and internet and relayed the info by phone.

We are cooking on a gas grill on the screened deck of my inlaws, Foster and Donna Needels and the kids slept on the deck/kitchen/dining room/laundry drying area/ the past several nights because it was cooler. Christopher repaired the damaged screen, about the only visible damage to their place.

I must get back to work. But it was good to hear from all. I am sure your cantaloupes are taken care of, Joy.

Bob Duke

Hank said...

Okay, here we go...My first time also...and I have alot of family to report on.

Janie and I (and Esai) are doing good here in San Antonio with my parents. I have gotten word to return to work Friday night. As of right now, I am planning to leave Janie and Esai behind until everything is fully restored. I have been in contact with my apt complex and they say that there was no flooding where we live and from the outside of our apt, no visible damage. Electricity is already back on and water. The water though is still not consumable. I thank God for his mercy and grace upon us and our home. (We live in Texas City.)

Anna Benavides and kids went to Mexico to ride out the storm. They are doing good and keep in contact every so many days. They don't have internet or tv so I have been keeping them updated on the situations in Galveston.

Petra Benavides is with friends here in San Antonio. She is also doing good and ready to go back home.

Alice Hernandez went with another one of her sisters to Houston and staying with friends. During the storm, their power and water went out. They have since found other friends to stay with that did have power but are needing to boil their water.

Johnny and Theresa Gutierrez also came to San Antonio. Brother Johnny had to report back to work today in Dickinson and would be working in Conroe. He also had to leave Sis Theresa and Malachi with friends here in San Antonio until things are back to normal.

For those who knew my father-in-law stayed, he is doing good. He and his wife are with family in Houston.

Wow, not bad for a first timer!

We are thinking of our GBC family, are prayers are with you all and can't wait to we see each other again.

-hank

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith!

Brad Banks said...

Hi,

My name is Brad Banks, Senior Pastor of Faith Bible Church up in McKinney north of Dallas. If there is anything we can do, please let me know. My email is bradbanks@earthlink.net and our phone is 214-636-4931. God bless

Stacy said...

Greetings,
We are currently in Austin with Aaron and Kelly Barbin but we are trying to find a more long-term living situation in San Antonio. Since our house burned down, we have no home to return to and Farmer's wants Bob to work in their San Antonio office if possible. So, under the circumstances we are preparing to hunker down in SA for a while (maybe 4-6 weeks). We are trying to spread the word that we are looking for a rental house where we can stay with our many pets.
It's nice to hear everyone's stories. And hope to see you soon.
Love,
Stacy

nixonfive said...

Hey all,

Mara (our dog) and I are in College Station with Libbi (all that money to A&M finally paid off and provided a place to stay). Mike and Rob have been working in galveston with Jon C. and John W. since Sunday. It is exhausting disgusting work but they are accomplishing much. Tyler has been given a pass from West Point and will be here tomorrow to help out. I am looking for more permanent housing (I think we're wearing on Libbi's roomate) and will probably end up here. Now is the time to remember that God is more interested in our character than our comfort (I think I heard some great pastor say that). Press on family.

Love ya,
The Nixons

Allison's said...

We're praying for you all. If there are any of you that need supplies (clothes, food, gas cans), Ryan will be trying to come down this week. Kel, he will be bringing a shipment of hushpuppies. A girl's got to keep her strength up.

Stacy, do you need anything for Elana? Ryan's work takes him to San Antonio often and I could get some things together.

We are North of Dallas so if any of you are in the area let us know (903)465-4093. Our home is yours.

Mike, Weber, Rob and Jon, we're praying for your strength every time we think of you- which is quite often.


Love you all,

Victoria

k rae said...

Greetings family ! In light of all the losses our Body has experienced this year, may we remember that these momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs any one of them or the whole combined.
I am in Austin at the Diven's, Ben is up here as well. Clay returned to the island yesterday and reported that we had 21" of water in our house. He described it as "worse than you could ever imagine" All the furniture was damaged and most worthless, much of it floated then turned over throwing objects everywhere. The floors were buckled and covered in mud and sewage. They have tried to remove the mud today and he will continue to work on it as time allows. This certainly makes you consider the value of all the "stuff" we accumulate in our lives, right? I will probably leave this area and find some place nearer Houston in the next few days. Be assured that I love each of you and am axious to be together again. Let us "stay the Course" praying for the strength to deliver hope to the hurting on our island. Grace and Peace

Unknown said...

Hey everyone, Sarah and I are both fine. We both evacuated on Thursday from Galveston with Sarah going to Cincinnati with the patients Shriners had to evacuate and me going to San Antonio to stay with my sister. Sarah was able to return early from Cincinnati and I was able to drive up and meet her in Oklahoma City two days ago. We are currently staying with her family. We haven't been to the island yet, but I talked to my landlord yesterday and he said that the windows of our building stayed intact, and since we are on the second floor, we didn't have any flooding. The only thing that we don't know about is how well our already leaky roof held up. All in all we have been very fortunate.

We would love to be able to help out any fellow GBCers as we move forward in recovering from this storm. Let us know if we can help. My number is (409) 599-8680 and Sarah's is (409) 599-8860.

Tim, Sarah, and Bella Senecal

Unknown said...

Hello everyone. Well, God seems to be with us all. I am well, in Austin, and am doing a Family Medicine rotation there, so I missed having to pack up and leave the island. My roomate and my cat, however did leave. Both made it off the island safe and sound and made it through the storm. I think I am going to stay in Austin for the next several weeks while all this gets sorted out, but if anyone has any information as far as when they will let us back on the island, I would really like to get back there and help with the cleanup. It helps me to know that even in the worst of the storm where I feared the most, there was a calm in my heart that God holds us all precious. I take heart from His love for us, and I take strength from the fact that He would not test us so if he did not love us and think that we were strong enough. Please everyone, keep in tough, be safe, we can all come together as a family and make it through.

If anyone needs to get in touch with me, my phone is 512-914-7017.

Scott Goff said...

I work at a software company, and yet, I too am blogging for the first time.
Our home in Dickinson is fine. We have water and power. It is open to anyone who needs (or even just would like to have) a warm shower or dry bed. Please don't hesitate to take us up on the offer.
With that in mind, how can we best help? Getting on the island to help clean without "connections" is impossible.
What is the best method to get in touch with the proper people to help? Responding with that information to this blog will be fine as I can check it regularly.

Bethany said...

My dad wanted me to let everyone know that Richard (dixi) D'Albergo is in North Houston with his niece. He heard his house is ok and he misses being there. Call Bob Duke @ 409 356 3506 for more info. I am praying for all of you and hope to see you soon.

Bethany Duke

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord, just got power, its off and on so I am taking a hot bath before it goes off again. Its really neat to see everone responding to the blog. Am really curious to know what's going on with the team on the island and how things are going there.I know there has been a lot of criticism but I think the rescue workers here on the mainland have done a great job. Maybe now that we aren't having to scramble for water & power ourselves we can get down there to help as soon as they will let us on the island. Does anyone know about the Ramirez's or the Banda's and does anyone know about Sarah's Hrovina's parents' church? Also has anyone heard from Jen? Have heard from Ben & Shawn Coleman and they are in Brennam but say that they have heard their house is fine. See ya soon I hope, Jackie T

Unknown said...

Hello to GBC family…

I evacuated to my house in Rosenberg (Fort Bend County) last week and have been there ever since. Even that far west, Ike’s winds were pretty scary. My house and trees survived OK – just lots of downed branches. Except for a few brief and sporadic power outages, I’ve had electricity all week.

ANICO, my Galveston employer (near GBC), has been running computer processing cycles each night from their League City site. They also sent some employees to a San Antonio site. I told my supervisor I'm willing to go wherever they need me until they can reopen the Galveston building. He said he will get back to me. I’m blessed and grateful that they’re paying us through the downtime.

I agree with Scott about wanting to help in our GBC family’s cleanup/recovery effort. Living 72 miles away, however, I won’t attempt a trip down there until I know I can cross the causeway without checkpoints.

I’m looking forward to getting back to my little second-floor apartment on Post Office Street, resuming work at ANICO and rejoining all of you in my GBC family.

Isaiah 41:10

Steve H.

k rae said...

INSURANCE INFORMATION: for those of you filing claims you may want to know this BEFORE you begin you clean up efforts
DO NOT DISCARD ANYTHING
seperate what is ruined and what is damaged, make a list of each, take pictures. SAVE ALL RECEIPTS of food, gas clothing since the hurricane (this can also apply to FEMA)

Kevin Busscher said...

Hey Ya'll,
I went to GBC up until November 92. I've been living in Honolulu since then. Just wanted to let ya'll know my thoughts and prayers are with ya'll and everyone else affected by the hurricane. If there is anything I can do let me know my email is aqualung@hawaii.rr.com
Aloha and
God Bless ya'll
Kevin

Kevin Busscher said...

Hey Joy,
About the 2 cantelopes in your yard. I think I saw em washed up on the beach over here :)
Aloha
Kevin

shawn said...

As I spend time away from my GBC family I realize more everyday how much we depend on each other, to remind each other of the truth, and that what is seen is temporal, and that what God is doing in our lives is eternal. I keep thinking of Clay's prayers this year as he prayed that "God would shake those things which can be shaken" and know that our precious holy spirit placed that in his heart, so I can't blame him! But truly God must have great things in store for us! Through this time of suffering, pain, loss, confusion, and even anger, let us comfort one another with words of truth.

I have been deeply moved by the efforts of the EFCA Crisis Team's willingness to respond in our time of need. I know there are many in the body of Christ that are reaching out to help us. We are not alone.

I love you all. My heart is deeply grieved by reports of loss of homes and property.I am thankful we all made it to safety. I am praying for each one of you.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith- more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire- may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 1:3-7

Margaret said...

Hi. Some of you GBC long-timers may remember Russell and me. I just wanted you to know we are thinking about you and praying for you. Also, we live in Bryan now. If there is anything we can do for you please let us know. If anyone needs a place to stay or is in town and would like to come by for a meal please let us know. Our home phone is 979-589-3536. Our e-mail is medsrjc@hotmail.com

Thinking of you,
Margaret (Porter) and Russell Clark

Nancy said...

Hello GBC family,
It's been about 3 years since I've been back at Galveston but wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and praying for you. If anyone ends up landing in Ohio, let me know (409-939-0238). Continue to keep us updated!

love,
nancy

AmberT said...

Hey Everyone! Curtis, Claire and I are living in Minden, Nebraska now, but are thinking of you all the time... my heart is heavy. What a tremendous witness to have our elders there ministering and serving those on the island. I pray that God will bring much good from their service. If you find yourself in the midwest, don't hesitate to call (469-951-4991)! I talked to Janene last night and she and Don are in Fredricksburg with the kids. They have a family home there. Their house did not sustain much damage. Does anyone know where Jenn is? I am thinking and praying for you often and hope to see you again one day soon. Love to you all! Amber

Unknown said...

Does anyone have Aaron Barbin's phone number? Call me with it at 409-356-3503.

Thanks,

Bob Duke

Davis Family said...

Hi everybody!

It is--what can I say--enormously encouraging, amid the sorrow--to hear people's reports of what has happened, and how God is working.

I agree--I was very moved to see EFCA's response to us--and today to read of the mission field they have seen in Houma. I'm sure there will be one in Galveston as well.

In partial answer to Jackie's question about the Bandas, Danny saw Sgt. John tonight while on reserve duty for the Sheriff's office. Don't know the family's status, as they didn't have time to exchange greetings.

I did make contact with Jenn last Friday night, and she was safe with her family, at her sister's apartment in Katy. I have not made contact with her after the storm, but the reports on Katy seemed good--power up quick . . .

This is our storm story:

The girls and I are safe at Danny's parents house since last Friday evening. At some points on the drive north I felt like I was driving in front of the leading edge of the storm :)

Danny had to stay to work but rode out the storm at the crematory in South Houston. Thanks to the Lord, we did not lose the roof on that sheet metal building, and he survived the storm!

Also by God's grace we did not have any of the tall pine trees around our house crash into our roof--which I fully expected.

We have power & water at our house and are also eager to help.

The girls and I are still here in Colleyville (north of Fort Worth) and hope to have Danny join us Sunday after he gets off work. So we will be making our way back home sometime next week, God willing.

If the Allisons are reading this, or Pastor Banks--if there is anything you wanted to send back that way that we could carry, perhaps we could help in that way. We could probably meet you somewhere in the area, if need be.

I'll check back on this blog for anything of that nature, or you can email me at mrsatseaside@hotmail.com

May the Lord encourage and bless you all.
Marian Davis

Allison's said...

Marian,

I'd love to meet up with you. Ryan's in Galveston right now- he went down to help the guys and hopefully come back with a good "needs list". He says the EFCA is really incredible. I also spoke with Pastor Banks yesterday. He's really excited to help and will be getting some teams together from his church and we will be sending some as well to help Mr. Lewis (EFCA Director). Ryan will then be returning to Galveston probably in a couple weeks. If I am of any use I will go too, so perhaps we could drive down together? I'm so glad to know you are safe!
If there's anything you need (even a visit) I'm about an hour away.

Love,
Victoria

Anonymous said...

I was able to get online this morning and on my daily beleifnet e-mail was this scripture, Thought this was appropriate

Psalms 46: 1-3

1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
Selah


I go back and read and re-read the postings just to feel connected to all of you!!!

Even got my computer illiterate husband, Randy to look at the blog and read all the posts, who knows I might even get him to strike a key Ha!Ha!

Hows it going in Galveston with the team and is it possible to come down there and work with yall???

Unknown said...

I am writing this early on Saturday morning, just about a week since Hurricane Ike changed all of our lives forever. I could not get back to sleep as I was thinking about many from GBC, some who I have spoken to, others who have written in this blog, and many more I have not heard from or heard about.

A week ago at this time we were about 2 hours from losing power here in April Sound, west of Conroe. The winds and rain against the house at that time were already making things a bit ominous; I remember awakening and wondering how bad things were in Galveston. I went back to sleep okay as I prayed for the situation on the Island but awoke again about the time power went off. I again went to sleep wondering what we would find the next morning.

During this whole trying situation I have not been as anxious as I was with Hurricane Rita. During the Rita crisis I remember watching too much TV news and weather during the time before and after the storm and just being worried and almost unable to think clearly and do anything productive. I am thankful to God for giving me peace and helping me to trust Him for what the future holds for our family and yours following Hurricane Ike. He has been so good to surround me & my family, physically and by telephone, etc., with people who love us and care for us and who have shown the Love of Christ by actually doing things for us and others.

I mentioned some of what several family members did in an earlier post. Here is some more of what Jeannette and the 3 younger girls have been up to. All have helped a great deal with meal preparation, clean up, hand washing clothes, house cleaning, raking yards, singing in the dark, entertaining their nephew. Jeannette is doing most of or sharing in the preparation of the main evening meal now as she did during the days up to and following Ike’s rampage. Her parents appreciate her culinary abilities and the break from routine as she exposes them to many of our recipes, thanks to cook books rescued by Christopher before he left the Island after 2 days of helping with clean up down there.

During the 109 hours without power (4 days, 13 hours) we struggled, like many still are, to get food, to prepare it, to find ice and to stay cool, at least some of the days; praise God for the cool weather we had! We started back with homeschooling early this week because Jeannette brought books and we had space to set up. It was halfhearted at first and also involved a field trip to help an elderly lady in the neighborhood clean up her yard.

We are now grateful to have power, water, gas, internet (and TV, although that will not be watched much in this household). I wish this place was big enough to bring in everyone that needs a better situation right now. The day before we got power back on we heard it might be two weeks. So, I am not sure if any predictions are very accurate. I can relay what information I can find out if you post a specific question here or have someone without internet access contact me directly.

Over the past several days several GBC family members have networked to get information on temporary housing for a member family. That effort was finally successful on Friday afternoon. We used cell phones to relay information by voice, text message and even emails to phones from those with internet access. It took so much effort because FEMA hotels in the Houston area have rapidly filled up. This GBC family member will need additional help soon for transportation and to relocate to a temporary apartment. Please post here or contact me directly if you need help, want to help someone you know who is in a similar situation or if you want to be available to help.

I think many would like to know who you have been in touch with and have contact with. Many of us probably left the Island without the GBC directory or any personal phone directories. So we do not even have cell numbers unless they were in our phones.

I recommend that we post only first names or first name and first initial of last name of adults of a family unit and not include phone numbers or email addresses or location and post-hurricane situation information unless the GBC member says that is okay to post that information about them and their family. That kind of information could be used for purposes other than what we intend since this is a publicly accessible blog. I had already posted my contact numbers before I thought about this so contact me if you want a number or want to know what I know about someone’s situation.

So, if we list information as I have done below then you can contact me directly or post here and ask for more information on a family or families. Then whoever has that information can contact you via phone or email if that shows up in the blog or can call me with the information and I will relay it to you.

Those our family has contacted & has contact info for: Clay, Jon & Kelly, Mike N., Marie & C.D., all Duke children, Elizabeth H. & family, Mike & Sylvia, Jack & Carrie & family, Bob & Stacy. Mary Angela, Danny & Marian, Monica & Sean Molloy.

Those we have heard about besides you folks who have blogged and the family members of those listed above: John W. & family, Jim and Mary & family, Joy & Joel, Jenn B., Grant & Sarah & family, Earl and Georgia, Liz W. & family, Mike D., Jay W. and former GBC members George & Margaret M., Mike & Susan W., Rhonda G., Henry & Cindy P. & family.

I am not sure when we will be together again for a worship service or get together but let’s keep praying for that and planning for it. The information on any such event will probably be posted here. Please try to attend church somewhere this Sunday and let brothers and sisters in Christ know of your situation so they can pray for you and others displaced by Ike.

Thank you Shawn for your post and the comments about Clay’s prayer for God to shake the things that need to be shaken. I remember him saying that but did not until you mentioned it. I think I was focused a lot on what I needed to do in response to this crisis, this set of trials, and not what God is doing and will be doing in the coming days.

Maybe I can get back to sleep now that I have put all my thoughts down. I know this is long but I hope it is encouraging to you all.

I prepared most of the foregoing during the night when I could not access a computer with internet access but I knew I would be able to today. My web access is now working via a wireless adapter so I do not have to rely on relaying messages to my kids that have web access. So please contact me directly or via the blog.

I have really appreciated all the words shared in the blog. I used to think of a blog as a blahg as in blah, blah, blah, ugh! But I see its great value to us all at this time. As I lay in bed before I finally got up to write this, as I was thinking about so many affected by Ike, I found my wife’s hand and held it by the finger tips, feeling the comfort of knowing she was safely by my side. I realized that this blog is a bit like that: we are touching each other enough to help each other through this and to remember that we are not alone—we have each other and we have a great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.

For those of you former GBCers checking in, hello and thanks for writing.

In Christ,
Bob Duke

NancyJ said...

Greetings from a former GBC'er
This blog is an answer to prayer as we have wondered what was happening with our brothers and sisters in Christ. I was at GBC from 1992 to 1995 and you still have a special place in my heart. You will continue to be in our daily prayers for God's sustaining strength.
Nancy (Phillips) Jackson

Unknown said...

For anyone who has not heard…

Mayor Thomas and City Manager LeBlanc announced Saturday evening that Galveston will officially open to traffic this Wednesday, Sept. 24, at 6:00am.

East Enders will be allowed to stay. West Enders will have another “look and leave”. Not sure where geographical line will be drawn. There will be a checkpoint on I-45, but only for purpose of handing out sheets that explain what to expect on Island. Supposedly, driver licenses will not be checked.

Services (power, water, sewage, etc.) will be very spotty in many areas, so we have to be prepared for primitive conditions.

I suspect all this is subject to change, so PLEASE do your own due diligence and listen to broadcast news periodically to confirm. I just want to bring a little good news to anyone who has not gotten it yet.

Take care, and be safe.

Steve H.

Anonymous said...

It's Sunday Morning about the time we would be arriving for church at our beloved GBC and my prevailing thought has been as I woke up and started moving around this morning has been this. I know we our not supposed to compare ourselves to others whether they have it better than us or whether they have it worse, but....... I have been thinking over and over this morning about the million or more people in our area that are standing in long lines to pick up bottled water, bagged ice and ready to eat or prepared food which are considered the bare necessities at PODs and sites set up by the government, churches and other volunteer organizations for this purpose. I now so many people are still waiting for power so they can keep their food fresh and so they can get cool and escape the heat. Because there is no running water, toilets are backing up causing a health hazard and a terrible smell. And then....... I think about the many missionaries who are in places in the world where these items that we consider to be necessities are luxuries that only the very privileged would have access to. I have seen with my own eyes people walk for miles and stand in long lines all day for a bowl of stuff that looked like groul scooped out of a big barrel, only to come back & do it again. How they walked for miles with containers of every kind to dip water out of a dirty river or if they where really fortunate from a pump well only to carry it on their head back to their homes.
( There is no way in this lifetime that I could carry say an big Ozarka bottle on my head or much less walk with it 2 feet) Or when they have to go to the bathroom they go in a hole in the ground, possibly surrounded by a grass fence or screen for privacy.

I am not trying to minimize in any way the hardships that our fellow citizens are going though, complete devastion, true hunger, thirst, & discomfort on every level. But I also know through this experience we will learn to appreciate those creature comforts and things we take for granted more so than we ever have before. I beleive through this we will have a bigger heart of compassion having gone through this. It is very humbling to have to accept the help rather than being the ones giving it. I absolutely have no idea why God allowed me to be as blessed as I am to live in this fabulous country or why he has given me the life He has, but I do know this... I am so so grateful and I Know that the same God that has spoken to me though all of this is the same God who has calmed this storm and is bringing healing & restoration by ministering to his people through his servants like those from the EFCA team and the Salvation Army and The Red Cross and the thousands of other volunteers. He Is the same God who ministers to those in those countries far away, much less blessed than we are, with missionaries who willing to go and experience the hardships that we are experiencing right now, as an everyday way of life. I pray that what most of you are going through right now will be temporaray and that you can re-build your homes and your lives and that you will soon get back to some sense of normal and that it will be even better than it was before, but I know for all of us we have been touched in ways that we will never be the same. I know when I see a news report of a storm hitting in another area of the country or even in a distant land that I will have a real sense of the agony those people are going through because "those people" are "US" right now. God Bless you all and We love you all. Jackie

Anonymous said...

To Our Brothers and Sisters of Galveston Bible:

Grace and peace from God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

You cannot comprehend the magnitude of love and intercession that is taking place on your behalf. God is using you mightily to accomplish His good and perfect will. He is using this disaster to bring good and glory to His kingdom and most importantly, to draw His people unto Him.

Some have begun to arrive on your doorstep. Many more will follow. As they come please remember that each one you see is only a snapshot of the thousands upon thousands who are with you across the nation and the world. Imagine each one you see as a representative of 100 more prayers.

Christ is building His kingdom and we cannot comprehend the rippling effect of blessing through tragedy.

The acute-
Homes will be rebuilt
The tangible will be restored
Life will eventually resume to normal

The immediate-
Others will respond to your love and acts of compassion and want an answer for the hope that is in you. They will seek Him. Many will come to Jesus Christ if you are willing to allow Him to work through your tragedy.

The mutliplicative effect-
Those affected will become your new brothers and sisters in Christ. Galveston will be tranformed for His glory. Dream...dream for His kingdom you guys!

*The volunteers will grow in their faith and be strengthened. They will learn to serve. This service will extend to their local church upon return home. New ministries will be created. More will come to know Him. 40 years from now His kingdom will still be growing and expanding due to your love and unwavering faith during this time.

Pray. Pray wholeheartedly and seek His will for this situation. Nothing good or bad happens without first passing by the hand of God. He's allowed this which means it's not too large for you to handle. Rest when you can. Meditate on His word friends. Seek Him. He is all you need. Praise and worship. Sing during this time. Sing loudly, sing together. Pray publicly. Grab the hands of others in the streets. Cry together. Laugh together.

Find it in your hearts to have a God sized vision right now. Look past the muck, the mold and the water logged furniture. See Him shining on you! Did you catch it...He's all around. Stop today and ask...Lord, what's my part? You don't need to do this on your own. He will use your individual gifting. Don't be overwhelmed dear ones. Remember Nehemiah. We can do together what we cannot do apart. It's not about what we're doing even a little. Just ask Him every moment in the upcoming weeks...send me someone today Lord.

Go forth in blessing and fortitude. You are loved beyond measure

In Christ alone,
Mandy Prince
(former EFCA Crisis Response staff)

Dr. Nate Wirt said...

Hi gang,

My chiropractic office is open to you without charge. I am in Seabrook, (281) 532 9466. Candy and I are praying for you and very concerned.

Love, Nate and Candy

Dr. Nate Wirt said...

Hi gang,

My chiropractic office is open to you without charge. I am in Seabrook, (281) 532 9466. Candy and I are praying for you and very concerned.

Love, Nate and Candy

Kevin W said...

Hi everyone!
I look forward to meeting all of you as I serve along side of ya'll. I've already had the pleasure of meeting Pastor Clay, Mike Nixon the 2 Johns-Weber and Charon and I can say that You have a great leadership team who has already begun to look to the future and to what God can do in the wake of this crisis. It's hard to believe that Ike could be an answer to prayer, but in reading this blog and some of Clay's prayers, as well as hearing the elders share with us about how they were looking for ways to develop better outreach to the community, but that's just what this is. A way to show Christ's love to those in need. I am excited to see what God is going to do in this situation. I have seen him work in the lives of those who were affected by Katrina 3 years ago and all the 13,000 (that's not a misprint)volunteers who have come through the EFCA's Crisis Response service points at Trinity Church in Covington La., and Castle Rock Church in New Orleans. We are now serving on 3 fronts with the continued rebuilding of New Orleans, Gustav and Ike relief in Houma La. (Which is still under water and not expected to dry out until the levees are repaired sometime next week ) and the Texas front which is large and includes ya'll at GBC.( I've heard that everything is big in Texas) After a couple days of rest back home in Louisiana,I will be returning Teusday to help continue the set up and clean up of your church and response center facilities-(Didn't know you had any did ya?) And will be bringing with me Wheel barrows, scrapers, shovels, utility knives, and who knows what else, all things that have been donated or bought with donated funds provided by God's people over the course of the last 3 years.They are for use in cleaning out your own homes as well as for your ministry to the community. God is a BIG God and has provided for us in countless ways as we have served him. God is also an Unchanging God, so I know he will continue to provide for you and the work that he has for you and the volunteers that come to serve you, your church and your community together. Above all else, know this -God is Soverign, He has His purpose and your best interest at heart. You will see God move and guide, provide and direct in this next season of your church's ministry if only you'll ask Him to and watch with Spiritual eyes to see what God can do.

Looking forward to serving shoulder to shoulder with you,

Kevin Watterson
Efca Crisis Response Team Member

Unknown said...

The URL below is to an article published today about recovery efforts and church services this past weekend on the island and includes a photo with GBC in the background. You can see lots of stuff outside the church. I think it is probably GBC runined carpet that the man is dealing with in the foreground.

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/ap/article.html?mi=D93BN6PG0&apc=9001

Bob Duke

Anonymous said...

This morning I received a phone call from a dear friend asking me to put her son on our prayer list. I told her right now we didn't have a church, but then I remembered YES WE DO! We have this blog So.....Please pray for Jimmy Rothermel, 21 years old, he is in ICU on Life Support in College Station with a very rare form of pnemonia. He is a student at A & M. Pray for him, his doctors, His mom and stepdad Sharon & JIm Mayberry. His mom is heading back up to College Station now. They are all believers, pray that their faith sustains them through all of this. Sharon has had tragedy after tragedy in her life and Jimmy is her oldest son. He is a very bright & likeable young man.

In The Beginnining said...

You have our prayers here in Maryland! We are following the activity from the EFCA blog and planning to send a team somewhere in the Gulf to help in December, as he leads us through Crisis response. Having served in the New Orleans area three times since Katrina, God has given us a heart for the Region.

God bless you, keep you, and provide ina way only Daddy can!

Unknown said...

This is a link to a City of Galveston news release about the current conditions on the island:

http://www.cityofgalveston.org/news/default.cfm?ID=2287

This link is to all City news releases. http://www.cityofgalveston.org/

The first link will be important for the EFCA Crisis Relief Team since it explains how debris is to placed for city removal. I wanted to make sure this information was available to anyone on the team able to access this site since internet access for those on the island will be limited.

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone,
Sorry that I didn't add to this blog sooner, but I only have limited access to a computer and I didn't know how long it would take to complete a blog entry.

It is really good to hear from all of you and to know where you are and how you are doing. It breaks my heart that so much damage has occured to so many. I am extremely grateful to God that we are all alive and ok.

My storm story is that on Thursday night I finally left the Island after a day of humming and hawing about whether it was going to be a bad storm or not. I'm very glad that I left because I got 42" of water in my apt and have been told that pretty all my stuff is ruined.

Well I've had a few days crying off and on about it and will actually see the damage tomorrow.

I have drawn a lot of strength off of the passages some of you have quoted and I definitely know that God will use this to make all of us stronger. He loves us, is always with us, and will turn this bad situation into one that will glorify Him.

I love you all and very much look forward to seeing you when we can get back together again - soon!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Ooops, I forgot to say where I was staying. I'm in Katy with my mom. My sister, Christine, lives nearby. If anyone is staying in this area or comes through on the way to Galveston - call me at 409-771-7508. If you don't get through (my cell phone's battery doesn't last long) you can try my mom's number at 281-395-1751. I'd love to have lunch with you and catch up. I feel very disconnected and need to see my Galveston friends!
Love Jenn

Philip and Heather said...

Hi everyone. We've so appreciated hearing from everyone, and the reminders that God is truly in control.
We have been safe in Dallas at my (Heather's) mother's house. At 11 pm tonight (Tuesday) we, along with a few of our Pioneer Bible Translators friends from Dallas will be heading back to Galveston. We'll try to salvage what we can, and then drive back to Dallas the same day, and try to clean moldy things up here. (I know everyone who is coming back tomorrow will have their hands full, but if anyone has a few free moments, we would love help. Our rental home is/was at 11 Manor Way--(Harborside dead ends at Ferry & becomes Water street; our street is the first left turn.)
Philip's cell is (214) 205-6849, and Heather's is (214) 205-6867.
If we finish early, we'll probably try to find somebody else who could use a hand.
School is put off until at least early October, and possibly later.
We are eager to reunite with you all once things are more settled, and we miss you all. It's truly been a blessing to be able to read the posts on this blog, and hear how everyone is, and how faithful God has been to us all. We're so thankful we serve a God that is not only faithful, but also trustworthy, and also grants us grace.
Love in Jesus,
Philip & Heather Ashley

AmyB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AmyB said...

I would say 'from a former GBC'er' but I still feel very much a part of you as I've carried you in my heart all these years:

Hey, y'all- I'm so glad to hear everyone doing so well, in spite of the challenges and hardships you're enduring. You can be assured that many, many believers in and around Dayton, OH are praying for you. Basically everyone who comes within earshot or e-mail of me! :-) We actually had hurricane force winds even in Ohio. On 9/13 I was teaching in a hotel in Cincinnati when the lights went out and pieces of the hotel's outside walls blew off and crashed around! I need some shingle repair and my neighborhood finally got the power back on yesterday (9/23) but during the blackout I have had much to be thankful for. Opportunities for prayer abound!

I will pray that your clean-up will go more quickly than you expect and that you will soon be together again in worship. I pray I will be with you someday soon as well. I spoke to S. Shallenberger this morning and she told me about this blog site. I think she'll be posting later.

MAK - please call me or email me. I'll send my contact info to Bob D.

Davis Family said...

Thinking back to how many times in recent months we’ve sung the song that goes with the verses from Isaiah 43 on the original post. How much I have needed to remember the words in the past 2 weeks.

Songs going through my mind this week since Sunday when we met with other parts of the Body of Christ:

Jesus Let Us Come to Know You (words & music by Michael Card ©)

Jesus, let us come to know you, let us see you face to face
Touch us, hold us, use us, mold us, only let us live in you.

Jesus, draw us ever nearer, hold us in your loving arms
Wrap us in your gentle presence, and when the end comes, bring us Home.

It’s Going To Be All Right (words & music by Sara Groves ©)

It’s going to be all right, It’s going to be all right

I can tell by your eyes that you’re not getting any sleep
And you try to rise above it, but feel you’re sinking in too deep

Oh, oh I believe, I believe, that
It’s going to be all right, It’s going to be all right
I believe you’ll outlive this pain in your heart
And you’ll gain such a strength from what is tearing you apart

Oh, oh I believe, I believe, that
It’s going to be all right, It’s going to be all right
When some time has passed us, and the story can be told
It will mirror the strength, and the courage of your soul

Oh, oh I believe, I believe, that
It’s going to be all right, It’s going to be all right

I did not come here to offer you clichés
I will not pretend to know of all your pain
Just when you cannot then I will hold out faith . . . for you
It’s going to be all right, It’s going to be all right

Cast all your cares on him, because he cares for you.
I Peter 5:7

The Wildness of God (words & music by Lisa Meyers ©)

The wildness of God is like the ocean deep and wide
The waves that kiss the shoreline can change the course of life.
There’s something in his power that takes my breath away
And something in his sovereign will that calls my heart to praise.

Chorus:
And I am so dependent on his Word, that tells me he’s just and true and good.
The wildness of God, The wildness of God.

The wildness of God can cause a proud man to pray
Or tempt a saint to curse him for the harshness of his ways
He’s never arbitrary, but sometimes seems to be.
The wildness of God is a mystery to me.

Chorus

The wildness of God appears to let the sorrow reign
Opening my bleeding heart to feeling loss and pain
He’s often unpredictable, but always acts in love.
There’s something I can count on: the wildness of God

Chorus

Also thinking back to our meeting this summer, when, as I recall the topic of discussion was “How have you seen God shine in the broken places in your life?” Many wonderful pieces of testimony were given.

Perhaps now again, God is shining brightly through this huge gaping hole in our lives.

2 Cor 5:7-11
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body.

Deuteronomy 33:27
The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.

Que Dios les bendiga (May God bless you)
Dan & Marian Davis

PS and thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement, and to the crisis response team as well for your words of exhortation to us.
In Him,
D&M

Anonymous said...

Hello GBC Family! I've been to this "blogspot" several times with the intention of posting, but then I read through all the comments, even the ones I've read already, then I'll laugh a little, cry a little, and then I've run out of time. It's been a blessing to hear from you all, far and near.

I am in Dallas with the children, staying with very wonderful friends who invited us to join them and their four young children (!!) in their home. Jim is currently on the island working on our place. I'm headed there today just for one day.

The kids are in school and doing so well. I'm so proud of them.

I miss you all very much. Maybe I'll see some of you when I'm in town.

Keep running this race...
love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let everyone know my friends son was released from hospital yesterday PTL. Thanks for praying. Jackie...

PS. I go to the blog 2 or 3 times a day because it blesses my socks off to hear what everyone has to say....what an encouragement

jeannette said...

OK...here is another new blogger. Bob and Chris found that we have power at our house. Our AC should be checked out on Tuesday to see if it is working, so we may be headed back this week. We are thankful that we've had a great place to stay at my parents' house, but it would be really nice to get back home, too.

Thanks for the song words and scriptures, Marian. I'm looking forward to fellowshipping face to face!

Mike said...

Clay,

Just wanted to say hi and it was good to hear all of you are ok. I love you guys. I saw the picture of the church building on the web the other day. I am praying for you and your church family everyday.
Mike

bernitasheets1955 said...

This is great. I have been wanting to know more about how everyone is doing. Hopefully we can take a trip down and help after Sarah's wedding on Oct. 25. I have been blogging for a couple of years. It is great. Anyone with a few minutes who wants to catch up with our family a little can go to www.karasheets.blogspot.com or www.tkotravels.blogspot.com
Bernita Sheets

Clay said...

hey everyone,it has been a while since I have posted (and on the wrong part of the blog as well) so i thought an update was in order. First good news. Lots of great things have happened and a lot has been done since Ike. We have had worship services the last three Sundays and we will continue. GBC facility has largely been "gutted" by volunteers
and members. We are pressing forward with the EFCA Crisis Responce Team with facility, inreach to our folks and outreach to the community, mostly through work teams that have come from all over. We ahve seen God at work in so many ways to give us opportunities for the gospel. Personally my house is also mostly gutted and we are waiting on a verdict from FEMA and the city of Galveston on rebuilding. Many of the businesses in Galveston including some resturants are now open. We can buy supplies at Home Depot and other places as well. Centerpoint energy restored power to our house today, so while we can't live there without walls and with all the mold we can now run a dehumidifier without also running a generator.

Sort of Bad News. We have a very long way to go. While some people had little damage and others who had damage are moving quickly toward returning t live in their homes, many Galveston residents, including Karla and I will be a long time rebuilding. Some may be months. Many may be several months. Still we keep on going and learn to praise God for things like a hot shower and airconditioning. Keep on praying for us and please keep the volunteers coming. These folks give us so much hope and help.

Bethany said...

Dear friends and family,

I have been here in Dallas in school for the last three months and have been missing you all. It has been difficult to hear of all the hardship and not be able to be there, but I have been with you in prayer. So have many of my fellow students and the people at Pioneer Bible Translators. I will get to be among you this weekend and I look forward to seeing some of you. I am excited to hear the ways that God is using even this for the good of his people and the glory of his name. I pray that you all find strength in him and joy in the midst of sorrows.

love yall,
Bethany

JM said...

Hello GBCers,

Grateful for this blogspot to keep us up-to-date. Kevin and I visited last year, so some of you may remember us when Clay allowed me to share my testimony of the impact GBC had on my life. I am the daughter of the Jarrells and went to GBC in the late 80s! Still, GBC remains in my heart full of fond memories and spiritual awakening. Know that we have not forgotten you and God is near.
Jenny

AmyB said...

Hey everybody -
I read in the Daily News online that you feel forgotten now that the initial shock is over and the news has moved on. That may be true to some extent in the nation at large but in the hearts of many believers (especially this one!) you are still treasured and lifted up to God every day as you recover and rebuild. I remember how so many of you helped me through the years and I will remember my obligation to you. I pray for you and wish I could be there to help. You make me proud!

Anonymous said...

Hello to you former GBC folks. I'm so very sorry about your loses. This seems so surreal and it's been hard to understand. I didn't realize the church had a blogger and it's actually the first time I ever blogged--amazing.

By the way Joy, I found your two cantalope here on the shores of Long Island, NY!

I often think about those I knew as well as my time at GBC, and I have fond memories of both.

I'm amazed at how life goes on as we grow older (and wiser of course). I have dozens of photos of everybody back then, so get in contact with me if you want them mailed. Would love to hear how things are at this time. marshag589@msn.com

By the way, the Golds in Palestine,TX and the Strauses on Mercy Ships both want to hear from you.

-Shalom
Marsha-Leah (formerly Collins)